Monday, March 19, 2007

About a boy

Hmm, well I've been thinking about this for the past week, so I'll let it out.

Last Monday, first period at school, we were all informed of the tragic news that a year 10 boy at our school had committed suicide in the weekend. It struck us all pretty hard, I think. And I spent the whole of first period just thinking about what drove the guy to do it. It just made me really sad, to the point where I thought I was about to cry. I started asking myself what in his life could have been so bad, that he couldn't handle it any longer. I thought maybe it was because of what our school had or hadn't done to help, or notice that he was in such a state. I didn't know the guy at all, but from what I was told, his father had committed suicide in the same way 2 years beforehand, which must have really been hard on him. I felt that our Christian group at school could have done something to prevent it. I still can't understand and possibly never will how that boy felt, and how it'd messed him up. But I can't help but feel that much more could and should have been done to support him.

Earlier this year, one of my best friend's mother died. It was a really hard thing to go through, as I've known him since I was about 6, and knew his mother really well. I didn't really know what to say when I found out, but sent a card to him a few days later. I think that it's one of the hardest situations to be in, not knowing what to say, or how to say it. And the biggest problem is that most people don't say anything at all because of it. But I think we must comfort people who have lost someone close, we can't just ignore it, we have to support them and comfort them in their time of loss. The best thing they can have is the support of family and friends.

I can't help but feel this may have been what drove the boy I mentioned earlier to committing suicide. I think that when his father died it must have been a hard time for him, and he may not have received the support he should have. Suicide is a very serious thing, and I think a lot of people who have been in difficult situations have it on their mind. But it's never the answer, it only leads to more grieving for family and friends. I've kind of rambled on a bit, but I do want to pray for that boys soul. I pray that God has mercy on his soul, for he faced a situation in which he couldn't handle and that he has found the peace he couldn't find here.

1 Comments:

Blogger blessedchick said...

The problem is, that people are very good at hiding how they feel, and there problems either cos they don't want to face them themselves or they don't want to be looked down on by other people for having "issues".
So no one might have even known he was feeling like that.
Also about supporting people when family dies is a very important thing. I found alot of people avoided me when my nana died cos they didn't know what to say. And i felt that no one cared and that i had to face it alone, and that is hard.
You are wise beyond your years Sparky.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home